Waxing Care Tips
How Should I Prepare for my Treatment?
• Be dry - Cleanliness is appreciated, but please skip on the lotion, you'll get better results if your skin is less oily
• Be hairy - Your hair should be at least ¼ of an inch in length (which makes it long enough to lay flat on your skin). Please don't shave for at least two weeks prior to your appointment to ensure that your hair is long enough!
Also, if you've 'let it go' down there please trim any longer hairs to the proper length prior to your appointment.
• Be comfortable - If possible, wear loose clothing, if possible, that day to prevent irritation in the post-wax phase.
• Be relaxed - Reportedly the more relaxed your muscles are, the better your hair removal results will be!
Pre-Brazilian Waxing Prep:
• Particularly for women. Your skin is often more sensitive the time near your period, and waxing can be more painful than normal. So your appointment shouldn't be any closer than a couple of days before or after your period.
It is up to you, just wear a tampon and let me know prior.
• Pain helpers. Take Ibuprofen 30- 45 minutes before your appointment if you're worried about pain.
• Limit caffeine for several hours prior to appointment.
• Taking antacids (Tums) prior to their appointment also helps.
Now that you've managed to get past the discomfort of waxing, you'll need to know what to do next with those newly hair-free intimate places. Post-waxing care is important, but also easy -- and if you do it right, you'll be rewarded with longer-lasting benefits.
Cleaning the skin after waxing is a must. Since the hair follicles are left open and vulnerable post-waxing, it's important to remove all residues left over from the wax. This can be done with an antibacterial cream or soap, which will help prevent any skin irritations and bacterial infections.
If your skin does become irritated during the waxing process, soothing the skin afterward may be necessary.
A lotion or gel with vitamin E or aloe in it is a good way to help calm the redness down.
It's also a good idea to steer clear of hot baths and direct sunlight for a few days after waxing.
Safe after care practices!
Avoid intercourse for at least 24 hours after waxing. Waxing removes hair from the roots, leaving the pores unlocked for some time, which may allow transfer of infections.
Moisturize the area
Cooling gels work best for instant moisturizing right after the waxing session. You want to stay away from oily, greasy creams right now, because your skin will be warm and in need of cooling. It will help if these gels contain some antiseptic components, since this will help avoid any infection from the open pores.
Avoid tight clothing
Wear something loose, especially clothes made from light cotton, to avoid irritation caused by the friction between the skin and clothes. Avoid wearing tight under-wear, for at least 24 hours.
Avoid rigorous movements or exercises for at least 2 days, in order to stay away from irritation caused by sweat and clothes. You don't want to irritate sore skin with more friction, sweat and fitting gym clothes.
If you experience bumps and scaly skin, or any other strange symptoms, consult a doctor.
Redness or irritation for 1-2 days is normal after waxing. But, if you experience soreness or if the irritation continues, then consult a doctor.
After your waxing session, you'll want to follow the post-waxing care tips listed below.
Following these guidelines will help to ensure you avoid unwanted discomfort and help you achieve the best results possible. Here are some things that need to be avoided for best results:
• Outdoor sun exposure for 24 hours
• Make-up, if face waxed
• Moisturizers and lotions for 24 hours
• Hot water, Saunas
• Shower is better then taking a hot bath
• Exercise for 24 hours
• Deodorant with aluminum if underarms are waxed
• Salt glow / stimulating body or facial treatments
• Chlorinated Water, Tanning, Body Sprays, Perfumes, Scrubs, Talc's
• For 24 hours after waxing, many people should avoid tanning and swimming pools due to the irritating effects of chlorinated water. It makes sense to avoid perfumes, scrubs, and any skin irritants the day of the waxing service
• Tight clothing for legs / bikini
• Keep hands away from touching freshly waxed skin, this can encourage irritation or small pimples
• Short-term abstinence. Sexual activity should be avoided for at least 24 - 48 hrs
• To help with ingrown hair prevention, exfoliate at home beginning 5 days after their waxing session.
Use with a clean wash cloth then rinse. Loofahs or mesh sponges harbor bacteria and can cause breakouts.
~ Be sure to set a reminder to schedule your next appointment.
Maintaining a regular waxing will reduce unwanted hair growth as well as reduce the pain you may have experienced on your initial waxing session.